Friday, May 15, 2020

Q. What are your favorite interviews?

Here are some interviews that will give you a sense of how I work for those of you interested or assigned to find out.

2020

Mo Willems on the Lost Art of Being Silly.  

An interview with Edutopia discussing my philosophy about writing for children and trying to inspire adults to play along.

2019


Kids' Author Mo Willems Has A New Creative Challenge (And So Should You). 

A chat w/ NPR Morning Edition's Rachel Martin.  The text article serves adds a few details to the audio piece.  It was a fun conversation about my work in books and as the Kennedy Center's Education Artist-in-Residence.

2017 

Mo Willems's Funny Failures 


The New Yorker has an in-depth look at my career, philosophy, and more.  There is also an accompanying New Yorker Radio Hour interview where we musicals and I read from a few books.

There is No Formula.  

A podcast, The YARN, speaks at length and in depth about the hows and whys of my work.

2016

Mo Willems and the Art of the Children's Book.  

This New York Times review of my retrospective exhibit at the New-York Historical Society is also a (flattering) review of my career so far. 

Mo Willems and the art of children's books.  

This CBS Saturday Morning interview.

2015

The Pigeon Is On A Game Show. 

I joined the cast of NPR's ASK ME ANOTHER to talk about my career and answer questions poorly.


2014

CBS SUNDAY interview with Rita Braver.  

A nice piece that chronicles my career, my work in theater, philosophy, and why Paris. 

2013

TODAY show interview with Al Roker.  


We had a blast doodling all over the place, plus Al gives a nice overview of my work.

2012


 

A Rival for Pigeon 


(NPR's Morning Edition) A fun chat about Pigeon, Duckling, Death, and Why Parents are Cool.

 

Mo Willems is the go-to author for children — and their parents 


(Washington Post) A lovely feature piece about my work and career with great pictures of kids yelling.

 

2011


 Guilt for dinner: The MoWillems interview 

(Time Out Chicago) Fun interview on my writing philosophy.

 

2010


 


Mo Willems& Jon Muth 


(NYTimes Podcast) Jon and I discuss City Dog Country Frog and other work.

 

2009



Joyously Uncool 


(Trap Door Sun) Interview on my process and book work.


2000
 

Now Mom andDad Are Going Cartoon-Crazy, Too 


(NYTimes) Story about animation and my career before the release of Sheep in the Big City on Cartoon Network.